Disclaimer: Some of the links within this blog post are affiliate links, which means if you end up clicking through and making a purchase, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you
Youâ€™ve decided to take the plunge and work from home â€“ congratulations! There are so many opportunities out there for people to freelance, including transcription.
I did at-home transcription for years. Itâ€™s pretty lucrative.
Transcribing audio files helped us pay off a good chunk of our debt. If I hadnâ€™t found freelance writing, which is how I earn an income now, Iâ€™d probably still be typing away doing transcription!
But letâ€™s get back to you... if you are good at typing, love proper grammar, and donâ€™t mind sitting for a few hours at a time listening to someone talk, being a transcriptionist may be the right opportunity for you.
Before you jump in headfirst, consider the following factors.
1. Do you have the right equipment?
The good news is being a freelance transcriber doesnâ€™t require you to invest a lot of money.
The goal here is to make moneyâ€¦ not spend it, right?
But you do need a few thingsâ€¦
- Quality headphones: I started with the earbuds that came with my cell phone. I eventually upgraded to transcription headphones, which are much more comfortable, but the free earbuds worked just fine in the beginning.
- Transcribing software: Spoiler alertâ€¦ transcribing software is free! Express Scribe is what most transcribers use, and itâ€™s a free download.
- A foot pedal: A foot pedal is optional, but it can make transcribing easier and can even help you type faster. Hereâ€™s the foot pedal I still keep under my desk for when Iâ€™m transcribing podcast episodes.
- Laptop or PC: Because you need a computer to listen to and type the audio files.
- High-speed internet: Not required, but it can help speed things up if a client needs you to transcribe a large audio file.
You may already have a good laptop or computer and great internet. The rest you can pick up as you go.
For instance, you might start without a foot pedal or fancy headphones, and thatâ€™s perfectly okay! You can always invest in those things after you make some cash doing transcription - that way youâ€™re not paying anything out of pocket for your business.
2. Can you find a quiet place to work?
When you learn how to get paid as a transcriptionist, youâ€™ll hear time and again, you need a quiet, distraction-free place to work.
If youâ€™re a mom, think about an area in your home where you might set up a workspace to spend a few hours transcribing one or more days per week.
It doesnâ€™t have to be fancy. I started transcribing at the kitchen table!
Also think about when the house might be the most quiet. You might find time to transcribe during naptime, when the kids go to bed at night, or when the kids are at school.
3. Where can you get the skills you need?
If youâ€™re asking yourself, â€œhow can I learn transcription from home?â€
The number one course I recommend is Transcribe Anywhere.
They have a general transcription course thatâ€™s perfect for beginners who arenâ€™t sure where to start building a side hustle as a freelance transcriptionist.
A few other skills you need, you probably already have:
- Attention to detail
- Not afraid to learn something new
4. Can you manage your time?
Building a side hustle can be tough. It requires discipline and a strong sense of time management.
When thinking about how to get paid as a transcriptionist, ask yourself if you can manage your time.
You wonâ€™t have a boss looking over your shoulder â€“ you are the boss.
That means you need to set boundaries at home to work without distractions. But it also means you can set your own schedule!
Imagine working where and when you want, and not having to worry about if your kids are sick, doctor appointments, and other responsibilities.
5. Is working from home as a transcriptionist right for you?
If you have the time, knowledge, and dedication, working from home as a transcriptionist can be great.
If youâ€™re wondering how you might learn transcription from home, check out Transcribe Anywhere. Itâ€™s the best online transcription course available today, and itâ€™ll give you the skills you need to be a successful freelancing transcriber.
Knowing how to get paid as a transcriptionist is the first step to a brighter, more profitable future. What are you waiting for?